Friday, August 2, 2013

The Monster: My Textiles Projects

I did Textiles at school for one of my GCSEs and during that time, I made a terrible bag, an alright waistcoat and a pair of pyjama shorts.

Over the years, my sewing, both by hand and on a machine, has greatly improved. If you read my blog, you'll know that I've been working on a bag for the last few weeks and I finished it earlier this week. That was probably the only project I've done that's gone well. Why? I had no coursework or time limits; I was free to do what I wanted and when to sew.

The coursework and my lack of experience did leave me with some terrible products in the end but I'm not afraid to share them with you. I like that the experience has made me better and it does prove that you won't get everything right on the first try.

Never be afraid to try sewing something yourself out of fabric. If that's too threatening then buy an already made garment and alter it. Use bleach, dye, paint, lace, buttons, anything! It's nice to make something that's yours and something that's unique. If you're after a career in the fashion industry, this would be a good start.

Here are the finished projects that I could get my hands on. I do wear the pyjama top and shorts during the summer because they're white and they keep me cool. The top is also a bit too big which makes it extra comfortable. Unfortunately, the shorts are still in the laundry somewhere and I don't really want to dig through the dirty clothes to find it. I didn't make the top; I just stencil printed the design on it using stencils I cut out myself. I used the butterfly to cover a tea stain on the shirt. Clever, right?

This bag could have been improved by a long way. I use very flimsy fabric - silk and polyester. I had a lot of this fabric so I thought I could put it to good use. I have never worn this bag...

This waistcoat, believe it our not, got me a B. I feel like I shouldn't have gotten more than a C but it's the teacher's decision, not mine. I keep it in a carrier bag in my room which explains the creases. It does fit me quite well but, like with the bag, I don't wear it. We had to design the waistcoat to be inspired by Georgia O'Keeffe. Did I do well? I don't think so.


I also have a bag of fabric bits. They're not very big pieces and I was thinking of doing a patchwork piece with them. The colours that I have go well together; most of the pieces are some shade of purple or red.


My blog: thatpurplemonster.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment